Annaberg Sugar Plantation Ruins

Annaberg Sugar Plantation is one of twenty-five sugar plantations that were once active on St. John. This plantation was established in 1718, and still stands today. In addition to growing sugar cane Annabeg plantation also produced molasses and rum. For the majority of its life the plantation was run by slave labor. In July 1848 freedom was declared for the Danish West Indies Slaves, and the plantation lost numerous workers. Many of the large buildings and wind mills used to produce these goods still remain on the island, and now make up the Annaberg Sugar Plantation Ruins. The Annaberg Sugar Plantation is open for tours on a daily basis

Previous post:

Next post: